On the 1st of March the final pre-season Formula 1 tests started in Barcelona.The day was sunny and warm,so the weather was perfect for a practise.
10 teams were participated,as HRT and Marussia faced some problems with FIA Crash test(We`re waiting for their latest announcements)
Most of the teams have worked on technical improvements while working short-distance lap range,and later they switched to long-run programme.
Lotus returned back on the track after having missed 2nd part of the testing sessions(due to suspension problems).Romain Grosjean was the driver of the day for Lotus.
Nico Rosberg-128 laps;Vitaly Petrov-123 laps(No mechanical problems for Caterham this time)
The session was stopped 2 times:Serhio Perez wass out of fuel,and Vitaly Petrov stopped the car near the turn #6.
The leader of the day was:Romain Grosjean 1:23.252
1. Romain Grosjean, Lotus, 1:23.252, 73 Laps
2. Jenson Button, McLaren, 1:23.510, 64 Laps
3. Sergio Perez, Sauber, 1:23.820, 118 Laps
4. Mark Webber, Red Bull, 1:23.830, 102 Laps
5. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1:23.992, 128 Laps
6. Jean-Eric Vergne, Toro Rosso, 1:24.216, 113 Laps
7. Paul di Resta, Force India, 1:24.305, 98 Laps
8. Felipe Masssa, Ferrari, 1:24.318, 105 Laps
9. Vitaly Petrov, Caterham, 1:24.876, 123 Laps
10. Pastor Maldonado, Williams, 1:25.587, 58 Laps
Morning session was half-hour delayed due to the big amount of fog on the track.But the main trouble was caused by red flags.As there were lots of stops(Pastor Maldonado,Michael Schumacher(x2),Jean-Eric Vergne,)Sebastian Vettel,Nico Hulkenberg).
Just 3 drivers managed to reach more than 100 laps:
Fernando Alonso-125 laps;Romain Grosjean-124 laps;Heikki Kovalainen-104 laps.
Alonso and Grosjean were on race imitation programme and Romain topped the time of the day again: 1:22.614
McLaren,Mercedes and Lotus were busy with testing new technical issues(diffuser and blown system) ,as for Ferrari they were working on new front wing configuration.Speaking of Sauber,Force India and Toro Rosso,they had some technical difficulties.Their drivers Kobayashi and Vergne were able to return to the end of day`s session,while Nico Hulkenberg had to finish his testing day earlier.
Friday test times from Barcelona:
1. Romain Grosjean, Lotus, 1:22.614, 124 Laps
2. Jean-Eric Vergne, Toro Rosso, 1:23.126, 45 Laps
3. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, 1:23.361, 85 Laps
4. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, 1:23.447, 125 Laps
5. Heikki Kovalainen, Caterham, 1:23.828, 104 Laps
6. Kamui Kobayashi, Sauber, 1:23.836, 77 Laps
7. Nico Hulkenberg, Force India, 1:23.893, 36 Laps
8. Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, 1:23.978, 79 Laps
9. Lewis Hamilton, McLaren, 1:24.111, 65 Laps
10. Bruno Senna, Williams, 1:24.925, 48 Laps
11. Pastor Maldonado, Williams, 1:25.801, 20 Laps
The day started with the reveal of updated RB8(heavily revised exhaust layout and new rear wing)
Kimi Raikkonen experienced a lots of troubles yesterday,his session was disrupted by steering problems, limiting him to 43 laps.
“The power steering just didn’t work. It was the same system as yesterday but it just decided not to work today,” Raikkonen explained.
Seems like he`s used to such things in F1:”We’re still learning things but everything is going smoothly and there are no problems,” he said.
In the morning teams were practising pit-stops and doing quick laps.During the afternoon drivers took long-runs.The most impressive one was by Sergio Perez-130 laps and 35 laps on a soft tyres.
1. Sergio Perez, Sauber, 1:22.094, 114 Laps
2. Jenson Button, McLaren, 1:22.103, 44 Laps
3. Daniel Ricciardo, Toro Rosso, 1:22.155, 131 Laps
4. Felipe Massa, Ferrari, 1:22.413, 122 Laps
5. Paul di Resta, Force India, 1:22.446, 108 Laps
6. Bruno Senna, Williams, 1:22.480, 111 Laps
7. Heikki Kovalainen, Caterham, 1:22.630, 64 Laps
8. Mark Webber, Red Bull, 1:22.662, 70 Laps
9. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1:22.932, 129 Laps
10. Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, 1:25.379, 43 Laps
Coming Up: Final day of testing!